This easy beef and broccoli recipe is a new addition to my recipe collection, and quickly became a family favourite. I was surprised at how delicious it was!
I usually have a meal plan for dinners but sometimes like to stray from that plan too. It was one of those nights a couple of weeks ago when I felt like doing something different so had a look in the fridge and decided that beef and broccoli would be the main ingredients. I had recently read that you can just enter ingredients into pinterest and it will give you recipe suggestions. I didn’t realise there was actually a dish called Beef and Broccoli!
Asian meals do not feature highly in my cooking repertoire, so I was surprised to see that I had all the ingredients needed for this dish in my fridge and pantry. When I took my first bite I was even more surprised by the great flavours!
So, here’s the recipe (originally found at Rainy Day Gal).
Easy Beef and Broccoli
- ½ tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 1 tbsp of cornstarch/cornflour
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce (preferably low sodium)
- 1 tbsp of water
- 2 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 500g (1lb) of beef (chuck steak, cut into thin strips)
- ½ cup of low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp of brown sugar
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp of flour
- 3 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 2 cups of broccoli heads
- In a large bowl, whisk together the baking soda, sugar, cornstarch, soy sauce, water and vegetable oil.
- Cut the strips of beef against the grain and add to the bowl. Stir until all the meat is covered.
- Cover the bowl and place in the fridge for 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, mix the soy sauce, brown sugar, minced garlic and flour.
- Heat two tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large wok or saute pan, over a high heat.
- Add broccoli and saute for 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Transfer broccoli to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium-high
- Carefully add the remaining tablespoon of cooking oil to the hot pan.
- Add the marinated meat and half the sauce.
- Saute for 3 or 4 minutes, stirring often, until the meat is cooked through.
- Stir in the broccoli and the remaining sauce, saute for 1 more minute.
- Serve with rice.