Chicken Nuggets are a great family favourite so it’s great to have a quick and simple recipe on hand. I’ve been working on this Chicken Nugget recipe for some time, so we’ve been eating it quite regularly lately. So, it’s just as well that the kids love to eat it and I find it so easy to make!
My four-year-old is a really fussy eater and doesn’t like much meat or anything in a sauce (so no pasta or rice dishes). I wanted to have a meal each week where he would eat the meat (and I knew he would eat plain chicken) and I also knew he liked chips (fries) which we were not having very often. So, I decided chicken nuggets and chips would be a good addition to our meal plan. However, any time I had made chicken nuggets before they had been rather messy and the chicken had often been rather dry and chewy.
I then came across the idea of marinading the chicken in buttermilk to make it more tender. I gave this a try and it really worked! The chicken was really moist and tender, and everyone loved the flavour. However, we don’t usually have buttermilk in our house as I’ve never cooked with it before, so I decided to try using plain, ordinary milk to see if that would work too. And it did! Still tasted great and made the chicken moist and tender.
Another great benefit of marinading the chicken in milk is that when you come to coat the chicken in the breadcrumbs the chicken is already moist and ‘sticky’ so there is no need to coat the chicken in egg first. After marinading, I simply pour out the milk (keeping a careful hold of the chicken), then pour in the breadcrumbs and grated cheese and give it a shake to coat the chicken. When I first tried this I thought that the breadcrumbs would stick to the wet bag rather than the chicken, but I thought there was no harm in experimenting – and I’m glad I did! The breadcrumbs did not stick to the bag at all, just to the chicken. No need for messy dishes and yucky, sticky fingers when you coat the chicken!
Now, on with the recipe!
Easy Homemade Chicken Nuggets Recipe
- 500g of Chicken Breast
- ½ cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika (or any herb or seasoning you prefer)
- ¼ cup of breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon of grated cheese
- ½ tablespoon of Parmesan cheese
- Non-stick spray
- Cut chicken into 1cm/ ½ inch cubes
- Place chicken in a zi-lock bag
- Add milk and smoked paprika
- Place bag in fridge to marinade for 1 hour
- Preheat oven to 210c
- Carefully pour out the milk, while holding on to the chicken to keep it in the bag
- Mix breadcrumbs and cheese together.
- Add breadcrumb mix to the bag of chicken.
- Shake to coat the chicken evenly.
- Prepare baking tray with baking paper and non-stick spray.
- Use tongues to take chicken out of bag and place on baking tray
- Spray chicken with non-stick spray
- Cook in oven for 10 minutes, turn chicken over and cook for another 5 minutes until chicken is golden and cooked through.
- Serve with oven chips (fries) and vegetables or salad
This is a great, healthy meal for young children. (Well, maybe the chips aren’t so healthy, but no harm in moderation, right?) Hope you enjoy it too!